Neelam Gorhe asked for action against Narendra Mehta
Latest News Politics

Why Police has not taken any action against Narendra Mehta in woman harassment case, asks Neelam Gorhe

The Deputy Chairperson of the Maharashtra Legislative Council Neelam Gorhe asked why the police have not taken any action against former BJP MLA Narendra Mehta who had been accused of harassment by a woman, on Wednesday.

Mehta was the Member of Legislative Assembly from the Mira-Bhayandar, however, he lost the assembly poll last year with rebel Geeta Jain. On Monday, Mehta has resigned from all the post of the party. However, on Tuesday some clips of his misconduct gone viral.

Shiv Sena’s Manisha Kayande raised the issue in the Council during a discussion on her calling-attention motion on the rising crime against women.

“The woman who is an active member of the BJP and Corporator had complained of continuous harassment by Narendra Mehta,” Gorhe noted.

“I direct the home minister to probe and get information as to why no action was taken against Mehta despite couple of complaints,” the deputy chairperson said.

Nevertheless, Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said that he spoke to the woman on Tuesday night.

“She assured me that she would file a police complaint against Mehta. Once an FIR is filed, we will proceed further,” Deshmukh said.

“The police had recorded Mehta’s statement. We are waiting for her complain against Mehta,” said the minister.

The woman corporator submitted a written complaint in which she alleged her family’s lives are in danger.

What’s the matter

The corporator sent a video message to her followers in which she alleged that her life is under threat. The woman alleged in the video, “Mehta has exploited his position and committed a lot of scams and corruption. Being a party worker, I complained to people sitting in the top ranks of the BJP leadership, with all evidence about his corruption and inhuman antics.”

The corporator said she is being targeted by Mehta. She said she approached the Superintendent of Police and submitted a written complaint on the issue.