Vrikshparva in Shrusti Complex, Mira Road Mira
Crime Latest News

Septuagenarian suffocates to death after bedroom catches fire in Mira Road

An elderly woman suffocated to death in a flat after her bedroom caught fire due to short circuit. The incident which took place in Shrusti area of Mira Road has shocked the area. The elderly couple was living alone here. However, the husband has suffered burn injuries and is undergoing treatment at a private hospital.

A 70-year-old lady, Geeta Anand and her husband Anil Anand(75) were living alone. The incident took place at Flat No. 72, Vrikshparva building in Sector 03 at Shrusti Complex. The prima facie, it seems that the room caught fire due to short circuit in the AC at the wee hours. Geeta Anand died on the spot. Immediately, Anil was taken to a private hospital, where he is undergoing treatment.

After the eyewitness learnt about the incident, Fire Brigade was informed so as the police. MBMC Fire Brigade from Silver Park reached the spot. Personnel came in action and immediately controls the fire. They disconnected the power supply of the flat.

Upon entering the house, the woman was found lying dead on the bedroom. Anil Anand was burnt but was found unconscious. “The fire was caused by a short circuit in the Air Condition. Preliminary information suggests that the smoke spread in the bedroom and Mrs Anand died due to the suffocation. However, the body has been sent for the autopsy. We are waiting for the post mortem report and investigation is on,” said Sanjay Hazare, Senior Police Inspector, Kashimira Police Station.

“The septuagenarian couple was living alone in the flat. Their son is working in Singapore while daughter is staying in a different area of Mira Road. We had informed both of them,” said Hazare.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *